Capacitor burnt up in control box

Users who are viewing this thread

sfloyd

Reaction score
We had a power outage due to the weather and we woke up the circuit breaker for the well was popped so I reset it and it kept kicking out I took the control box to the (pro) water equipment store and they tested and sure enough the capacitor was bad put new one on and it lasted a couple of hours now it is blown again. Any pointers? Frankline Elec control box

R

Rancher

Sounds like a lightning strike, or a voltage surge, it's probably the pump.

Rancher

sfloyd

Reaction score
Thank You

I was hoping because it would work for awhile after the capacitor was changed it was not the pump. Are the pumps hard to replace? Thanks for the reply!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It could still be the relay in the box. If the capacitor was bad, the relay couldn't be in any better shape. Try a new relay with the new capacitor, or replace the control box completely before pulling the pump. When you get it back to working, you should know that cycling on and off is what usually causes this problem, and try to fix the real cause.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Do you have access to a volt/ohm meter? If so, we can walk you through testing these components and the pump motor as well.

bob...

Raucina

Reaction score
Everyone has access now from harbor freight for $2.99 - and they work well and reliably, I hate to admit. I think something like this cost about 20 bucks in 1970, when the minimum wage was $1.20 or so. Comes with a battery worth a buck too. Love that slave labor.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
In short replace the control box!

Valveman is right the lightning probably got the relay in the control box as well. . . maybe even damaged the overload switch. . . I recommend you replace the control box.

A Volt/Ohm meter for $2.99 won't generally check for high resistant shorts (damaged windings). However it will check for dead shorts like checking from each lead in the well to ground. If it reads anything on a cheap ohm meter, it means the pump motor or the drop cable (wire down the well to the pump) is damaged. In that case the pump must come out of the well!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks