Can Lights

Users who are viewing this thread

Dmtm21

Reaction score
I am installing three new 3 inch utilitech recessed lights in my master bath. Two of them will be in the new walk in shower and the other away from the shower. I have read the instructions and cannot find anywhere that is says they cannot be installed in "wet" areas. Should i consider them safe? And they ae non-ic models and was wondering if I could build 1ft by 1ft boxes out of sheetrock and cover them in the attic to protect them from insulation. I would drill a 3 inch hole in the top of each box to allow heat to escape from the boxes? No,no or what do you think?Thanks, Danny

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
I am installing three new 3 inch utilitech recessed lights in my master bath. Two of them will be in the new walk in shower and the other away from the shower. I have read the instructions and cannot find anywhere that is says they cannot be installed in "wet" areas. Should i consider them safe? And they ae non-ic models and was wondering if I could build 1ft by 1ft boxes out of sheetrock and cover them in the attic to protect them from insulation. I would drill a 3 inch hole in the top of each box to allow heat to escape from the boxes? No,no or what do you think?Thanks, Danny

They need to be rated damp location for a shower area, wet lcoation if they are subject to shower spray, if they are not listed then you cannot use them... call the manufacture if you have any questions regarding their listing.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
An electrician on another forum didn't think much of Utilitech:

"There are some recessed cans out there, all identical, but sold under different brand names. The cans sold under "Cooper", "Commercial Electric", "Emerald", and "UtiliTech" are all the exact same cans. They are among the most time consuming, low quality, miserable cans you'll ever deal with."

That aside, you may be able to find a trim set and lens for them rated for a damp or wet location. There may be additional restrictions on the bulbs allowed with those trim sets. The can itself only needs to be kept 3" from insulation -- easiest way is probably to roll a circle of sheet metal to a diameter of 6" greater than the OD of the can.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason you don't want to buy and IC can. I wish you were local. I've got exactly three of them with trim pieces sitting in front of me that I'd sell you for about $8/per.

Tom

Dmtm21

Reaction score
Where are you located statjunk? Sounds like a hell of deal!:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks