New water heater:strong sulfur smell

Users who are viewing this thread

coffyguy

Reaction score
After installing a new Reliance 606 gas water heater , the hot water smells very strong. 1 person suggested removing or replacing the "anode rod". Is this a simple procedure?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With a new tank, it should be easy to replace the anode with a different type. It depends on how much vertical room you have what configuration you need. They make replacement ones with a segmented body so you don't need as much room above.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
it should be easy to replace the anode
Yeah, but every one I've replaced has been a B*tch to get out. If you know someone with a torque-amplifier wrench attachment (BIG bucks), plan on borrowing it. Otherwise, you might get by with a LONG breaker bar (leave the WH filled so it won't dance around), or an impact wrench (last resort, IMHO).

If you Google "smell anode rod water heater" you'll get over 4,000 hits of advice.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yeah, but every one I've replaced has been a B*tch to get out. If you know someone with a torque-amplifier wrench attachment (BIG bucks), plan on borrowing it. Otherwise, you might get by with a LONG breaker bar (leave the WH filled so it won't dance around), or an impact wrench (last resort, IMHO).

An impact wrench would be my first choice!

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I did mine gently with a long breaker bar, and I would not be at all inclined toward shocking a water heater with impacts from a powered wrench. However, you might find that replacing the anode will *not* stop the odor as well as would getting your heater's internal temperature above 140* F. Along with keeping my "whole house" filters fresh, that is what I ended up having to do.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I did mine gently with a long breaker bar, and I would not be at all inclined toward shocking a water heater with impacts from a powered wrench.

You have a very common misconception about Impact Wrenches shocking things. Many years ago I was trying to loosen a nut holding a pully on a shaft. There was an allen socket at the end of the shaft and I wasted a lot of time with an allen wrench in it trying with a wrench to loosen the nut. Cheater bars and the whole bit. I finally went to my brother in law who was an auto mechanic for help. He told me to hold onto the 5" pulley with my bare hands while he put an impact wrench to that nut! I asked him WTF are you crazy and was told shut up and do it! He then spun that nut off in 2 seconds and I didn't feel a thing. Impact wrenches shock the nut not what its in or, on.

I stand by my post that Impact wrenches are the tool of choice for removing a anode rod!

Here is a link to some information on sulphur odors in water.http://www.inspect-ny.com/water/WaterOdors.htm

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Good link to smelly-water advice. I'll have to think about the impact-wrench a bit, though. I have this (bad) vision of the glass lining breaking into a jillion pieces and falling into the bottom of the tank...

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Impact wrenches shock the nut not what its in or, on.

If that were completely true, you would never have had to hold that alternator's pulley and I would never have ever twisted and broken a rusted lug bolt while trying to remove a stuck nut. Impact is impact (with or without continued torque), and the water heater will feel at least a little of the impact from a power wrench even if the nut above the anode rod actually does let loose before glass breaks!

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Been doing it for years and never had a problem. Go ahead keep twisting them tanks.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
For Your Information That Is How The Anode Rod Is Installed At The Factory

With Impact Wrench

Macplumb 777

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is a NEW WH, so hopefully, corrosion shouldn't be a problem. If it is many years down the line, all bets are off. Still, I suppose, it could be a pain getting it loose, but it shouldn't be that bad.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea, I'm sure... Thats why on one my cordless zings it right out and on the next it grunts for 45 seconds before it even starts to move,,, They use the same calibrated torque limiting impact gun the joker down at Bleep Bleep tire store used when he trashed the lugs on my work van! 85 ft. lbs (+- 80):rolleyes:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Well, everybody occasionally has a bad day, eh?!

My old school bus has a broken stud on one wheel because a new guy did not know to stop when his watch began spinning around his wrist.

While still sticking with my breaker bar for my own stuff, I stand corrected about impact wrenches and anode rods.

coffyguy

Reaction score
new hot water heater smell

Thank You to all for your replys. I removed the anode rod without difficulty and the smell disappeared within hours. A Special Thanks to Terry Love for providing this site.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Did you replace the anode rod with a different type?

Hope you didn't just remove it...

Might want to check out www.waterheaterrescue. com

more info on anode rod replacement than you can shake a stick at.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks