4" closet bend or 3" street 90?

Users who are viewing this thread

RemodelBob

Reaction score
I am trying to install a toilet waste line in a 2x10 joist bay. My horizontal run is pretty long (almost 20' fortunately goes into a dropped ceiling area near the end, so I will have enough slope), so I need to keep the 3" pipe tucked up as high as I can near the toilet. I was planning on using a 3" street 90, but my plumbing reference book keeps mentioning a 4" closet bend.

When I look at a 4" closet bend it looks like it would do a much better job of moving the waste, but it is also much deeper than the 3" street 90, which means I am not going to be able to meet slope requirements.

Is the 3" street 90 adequate? or do I need to find an alternate plan?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bend

Uses the spigot closet bend. you can cut the riser off at the floor line after the tiling is complete. It will be "shorter" than a 3" street elbow, just be sure to have enough of the spigot below the floor level so the closet collar/flange will slide down to the floor.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Like hj, I also use a closet bend for that reason.
The local hardware stores carry an ABS 4x3 spigot closet bend that will take a 4" closet flange.
If I really want to make it tight, I can trim a bit of closet flange hub away to let the flange drop down farther.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks