Gas black pipe plug

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I am going to turn out a 3/4 inch plug tonight that looks pretty well doped up and dry. Is there any advise as to how to start? Do I just give it a whirl or should I put something on it to loosen it/penetrate it.

Also, how do I properly clean the old threads to accept my new line?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Non-pro advice: scrape off as much dope as you can easily get rid of, give it a few squirts of PB BLaster (I may have the initials wrong), come back after a while and give it a whirl. Use two wrenches so there's no torque on the pipe.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Non-pro advice: scrape off as much dope as you can easily get rid of, give it a few squirts of PB BLaster (I may have the initials wrong), come back after a while and give it a whirl. Use two wrenches so there's no torque on the pipe.

You should always use two wrenches so you don't loosen another section or torque the pipes.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Doing your own gas piping and you don't know how to take out a plug?

Make sure you alert the neighbors so that they can get pictures for the eleven o'clock news.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Black Pipe Plug

Doing your own gas piping and you don't know how to take out a plug?

Make sure you alert the neighbors so that they can get pictures for the eleven o'clock news.

YES "PLEASE" LET US KNOW YOUR LOCAL NEWS STATION SO WE CAN WATCH ALSO,

MACPLUMB 777

Buckeyetech

Reaction score
3/4" pipe probably won't require much more than a couple of 14" pipe wrenches.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I'm with HJ & MAC...it's ok replacing a faucet, repairing a drain or a leaky water line.
Gas is a different ballgame.
One very small leak inside and it can gather until it's sparked.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Mmmmm, Make a mistake with gas piping and your house could sneeze... If your still alive afterwards you will own a pile of toothpicks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks