New kitchen sink plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Onecooljewel

Reaction score
Hello,
We're building a new home. We hired a plumber to do the rough-in and now we're installing fixtures.

He gave us two vented drains under the sink. We have a double sink, garbage disposal, and a dishwasher. What are the two drains for? Any tips for plumbing these?

Thank you.
Julie

Onecooljewel

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I will hopefully post photos tomorrow. A big snowstorm has knocked out our T1 cable.

Thanks again,
Julie

Fubar411

Reaction score
Maybe for a double bowl sink?

We have our two bowls mixing under the sinks, and while I know it is right, we get more clogs where the two meet than anywhere else in the house.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Maybe for a double bowl sink?

We have our two bowls mixing under the sinks, and while I know it is right, we get more clogs where the two meet than anywhere else in the house.
Can you post a picture of the junction?

Onecooljewel

Reaction score
Here are two pics. Unfortunately I do not have a picture from the kitchen side before we closed the wall, but I think you can see what's going on between the two pictures. The two drains are stacked one over the other and share the same vent.

If the second one is for a dishwasher, how do you connect the dishwasher drain to it?? Is there some type of adapter?

Thank you!

Attachments

• sink drains.jpg
    sink drains.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 690
  • kitchen drain dining side.jpg
    kitchen drain dining side.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 670

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
The bottom pipe is for a clean out.Female adapter W/plug will be installed
this for ease of cleaning drain if you ever have a stoppage.Good thinking.
This way you do not have disasemble trap and or other parts under the sink just to clean the drain.

Onecooljewel

Reaction score
So do we cut the cleanout back as close as possible to the main drain so that water/debris doesn't sit in there and get nasty?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It shouldn't accumulate stuff there, and since it will be below the trap, anything that does end up there (it should slope in to the vertical slightly) won't matter since it is on the sewer side of the trap. As long as you can still attach the cleanout, you can make it as close to the back of the cabinet as you wish, but it makes it harder to get to when needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks