Red triangle on water meter

Users who are viewing this thread

LiamM

Reaction score
Hi

I recently noticed that the red triangle on the face of my water meter was moving back and forth by about 3/4 of a revolution. Each time it moved forward-backwards-forward, it ended up a little past where it was.

I didn't have any fixtures, etc turned on while this was happening. Is the only cause of this a leak somewhere? And why would it be moving backwards?

Thanks for any feedback

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would check the water level of the toilet(s). I once had a toilet fill to the top of the over flow and stop then drain down the overflow then fill again. It was a stop go stop go. Then again a bad flapper will do the same thing

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I would check the water level of the toilet(s). I once had a toilet fill to the top of the over flow and stop then drain down the overflow then fill again. It was a stop go stop go. Then again a bad flapper will do the same thing

Dam, ya got me, I shoulda just generalized and said toilet...good point.

LiamM

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, folks.

I'll test the toilets and faucets this weekend, and post an update with any findings.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score

That is also what happens when a bowl refill tube is too far down the owerflow tube and the tank water level is set too high.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
That is also what happens when a bowl refill tube is too far down the owerflow tube and the tank water level is set too high.

Ya I tend to install the air gap so that doesn't happen. Saves the call backs for something that could have been prevented with one minor piece.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
My vote is for pressure fluctuations. I agree that if something was using water, the indicator would only move in one direction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks