PCV transition

Users who are viewing this thread

R

Rancher

What is the best way to transition from PVC to either a brass gate valve i.e. male PVC to female brass, or would it be better to use a brass/gal steel nipple and go from female PVC with SS hose clamps to the male brass/gal steel.

Rancher

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Don't think male metal into female plastic is legal in any code...
That being said, I prefer to use half of a SCH80 PVC nipple into the female brass valve body then glue the PVC into a coupling and then to the pipe...
The SCH80 nipples do not break as easily as the MIP fittings and other male plastic adapters I have used...
If the connection has to be disassembled frequently you can use a union (or banded coupling if the application is not a high pressure one)...

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
NEVER use plastic FIP adapters for metal MIP.
However, male plastic into metal is fine.

That makes sense, and I can also see the advantage of using half of a nipple like Mark mentioned. However, I recently discovered that some of the CPVC fittings (such as slip x thread male adapters) at the local box store are labelled "cold water only". Do you know what that is about? It looks to me like that is just some kind of ploy for selling the more-expensive plastic/brass hybrid version.

cpvc-male-adapter-terrylove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
That makes sense, and I can also see the advantage of using half of a nipple like Mark mentioned. However, I recently discovered that some of the CPVC fittings (such as slip x thread male adapters) at the local box store are labelled "cold water only". Do you know what that is about? It looks to me like that is just some kind of ploy for selling the more-expensive plastic/brass hybrid version.

Trust me, you don't want to use those things on potable (cold also).
The brass/CPVC are expensive, but the plastic will fail, saw it happen...not gonna happen to me.
The threads are so mallable thats it's difficult to know when they're over-tightened/stripped.

R

Rancher

Is this PVC outside the house?
Yes PVC is outside, it's the transition to the water line to the inside, which is now going to be PEX due to the copper failing. I'm going to use a brass gate valve this time due to bad experience with the plastic handles on the PVC ball valves breaking off (3' underground...).

Rancher

R

Rancher

So I guess the consensus is, Schedule 80 PVC (the Gray stuff, right?) into the brass, and cut off the other threaded end and couple to Schedule 40 PVC (the white stuff) using a coupling.

Did i get this right?

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks