Sewer line replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY_GW

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently digging up and replacing my sewer line. I have exposed about twelve feet of the line and now I need to cut it and replace it with ‘ABSâ€. The question is how do I cut it?

It turns out to be five inch cast iron. The hardware store suggested that I use a reciprocating saw (sawsall) that I bought. But I am thinking there has to be an easier way? How do the plumbers do it?

This is my first post although I have come here lurking for info several times.

thanks GW

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sewer

In the first place it is probably 4" not 5" cast iron. We normally use a cast iron pipe snapper. I hope you got a bargain on the SawZall, otherwise a plumber could have cut it for you for a lot less money in about 5 minutes or so.

DIY_GW

Reaction score
In the first place it is probably 4" not 5" cast iron. We normally use a cast iron pipe snapper. I hope you got a bargain on the SawZall, otherwise a plumber could have cut it for you for a lot less money in about 5 minutes or so.

Won't the plumber charge me an arm and a leg just to show up, not counting the work to be done?

Construct30

Reaction score
I use a sawzall or metal grinder with a cutoff wheel. The snapper can make a bad break on an old pipe that is pinned in. Make sure if you use the sawzall you have a blade long enough to go across the diameter of the pipe plus the saw movement. I use one with mid size teeth for wood with nails, not the small hacksaw blade.
They cut right off.

NOTE: Be sure when working in a ditch, you have a box cribbing. Cutting a pipe can bring the dirt down and you will die.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks