Auto Water Shutoff

Users who are viewing this thread

tonyn1

Reaction score
I recently had a main valve go bad on a dishwasher which resulted in some flooding of my residence, but fortunately I was home so it was not as bad as it could have been. I had a new valve installed as the unit was still under warranty and all appears well. However, when I went out of state over the holidays, I got to thinking what would happen if I were away for a long period of time and that valve went bad on me. I hate to think of the result I would find when I returned home. I see that several places are selling a unit called the "WaterCop" which has wireless detectors that sense water and signal to the valve to shut off the water. Has anybody used one of these units and if so, how happy were they with the performance? Do the wireless sensor units work OK or would wired sensors be better? Is the valve normally shut and held open by power on a solenoid and then shuts on a power failure? Are there any other units on the market including some that maybe monitor the flow of water? How about being able to buy parts to make my own?

Last edited:

tonyn1

Reaction score
So I'm supposed to turn the water off to the dishwasher after I use it every time? No thanks.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I suspect he meant to turn off the water to the DW if you will be away for an extended period. Others on this site have written about shutting off their main water supply valve when going on vacation (need to shut off water heaters if you do so) to avoid such potential catastrophes.

When you think about it, there are many, many places in your home where a fitting or valve or hose could let go at any given time - would be unrealistic to put a water sensor at every sink, toilet, etc.

Have you checked your water pressure? I would wonder if it is too high. It is particularly helpful to get a water pressure gauge with a "maximum" pressure hand which will tell you if the pressure gets especially high at night or under other circumstances.

tonyn1

Reaction score
It's not only being away for an extended period of time that could do that. Think how much water could come out just being away from home for a few hours. As far as water pressure goes, I am on a city water supply so I don't know the pressure and have not control over that anyway.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It's not only being away for an extended period of time that could do that. Think how much water could come out just being away from home for a few hours. As far as water pressure goes, I am on a city water supply so I don't know the pressure and have not control over that anyway.

Actually you do have control over the pressure. If the city is supplying excessive water pressure to your house (a VERY common problem), you can have a pressure reducing valve (PRV) and an expansion tank installed which will dramatically reduce the chances of catastrophic failures.

Untreated high water pressure is a flood waiting to happen.

You can buy a simple water pressure gauge at a hardware store for <$10. You screw it onto any hose bib (like outside the house, at a washing machine supply, etc.)

Construct30

Reaction score
The water cop is shown on TV a lot, great idea if it works. Wireless works in some houses not in others. For something important I like wired. I would see if they have something that can be wired for the places that can be and wireless for those that can't.

I would go bathrooms far enough that a little drip after bath wouldn't set it off, cloths washer, dishwasher and a couple in the basement. They make a fancy one that works on the water heater, how do you like that rugged, that turns off the water and the gas or electric if it is set off. You need that to avoid potentially dangerous issues, however if the tank breaks now the same issues are there, but the water damage happens too.

Good idea if you can afford it and find some one to install it.

tonyn1

Reaction score
I've seen the WaterCop on the web, but I don't like the price so much and the wireless modules. Like the previous responder, I'd rather have something like this hardwired. The price of $359 seems excessive, as it is only a solenoid valve and a control board. I could probably find a solenoid valve somewhere but I'm not sure about a control board for that.

tonyn1

Reaction score
Actually you do have control over the pressure. If the city is supplying excessive water pressure to your house (a VERY common problem), you can have a pressure reducing valve (PRV) and an expansion tank installed which will dramatically reduce the chances of catastrophic failures.

Untreated high water pressure is a flood waiting to happen.

You can buy a simple water pressure gauge at a hardware store for <$10. You screw it onto any hose bib (like outside the house, at a washing machine supply, etc.)

What is the optimum pressure for a residence?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
55-60 pounds is often the sweet spot on a city supply. PRV's can provide a consistent pressure. If you install one, you MUST also install an expansion tank, as indicated. If your pressure is above 80 pounds anytime during the day, a PRV is highly recommended.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks