Anyone know if there are new ARC FAULT requirements in NEC 2008?

Users who are viewing this thread

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Also, some AHJs are adopting the '08 and are modifying it so AFCIs are not required.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I herd that arc fault requirements are going to be expanded soon.

The 2008 code requires AFCI protection for ALL new 120 Volt circuits in residences. You should pull your permit before the 2008 applies in your jurisdiction to avoid that expensive stupidity.

Existing circuits usually don't fall under the new code.

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The 2008 code requires AFCI protection for ALL new 120 Volt circuits in residences. You should pull your permit before the 2008 applies in your jurisdiction to avoid that expensive stupidity.

Existing circuits usually don't fall under the new code.

Not quite. Only 15- and 20-amp circuits, and only those suppyling "family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreational rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas..."

Note that garages, laundry rooms, kitchens, baths, basements, crawlspaces, and exterior outlets are missing from that list.

2008 NEC 210.12(B).

lahabra

Reaction score
Smoke detectors,

Since hard wired smoke detectors and lights are in bedrooms, will they also need ARC fault protection?

lahabra

Reaction score
You should pull your permit before the 2008 applies.

I already have my permit. I am under the impression that my job must be in compliance with current codes on the date it is inspected, regardless of when the permit was issued.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I already have my permit. I am under the impression that my job must be in compliance with current codes on the date it is inspected, regardless of when the permit was issued.
How could that possibly be?
What if you get a rough-in on 12/27/07 and a finish inspection on 1/27/08? Are you suggesting they would use the '08 code for the final???

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
When (if they do) are they going to adopt the '08 in your area?.... that's the critical point you need to find out. Many places don't adopt the '08 automatically on Jan. 1, 2008. Some places may take two or three years to begin enforcing it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks