New Moen cartridge won't go in

Users who are viewing this thread

skylyn

Reaction score
The single handle bathtub fixture broke off yesterday. I pulled the cover off and managed to extract (it was pretty difficult!) the broken cartridge. I got a new assembly from HD and thought it would be pretty easy to install. However, I can't get the new moen cartridge in all of the way! Am i missing something? The old cartridge was numbered #96909 (or 60696). I can't find a direct replacement, but that wouldn't help because the handle itself broke too.

Also, would it be easier to just go with another brand? Will they work with the plumbing fixture pictured below? In the pic below, the new cartridge is in (but not all of the way).

moen1222.jpg

Moen replacement 1222 for the Posi-Temp Shower Valve

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to return the junk from HD and go to Low*s and buy an OEM cartridge.

The other thing is look inside the valve with a flashlight, and be sure there are no peices of rubber inside.

You can also put a thin coating of silicone onside the valve B 4 U install it, it should come with the new cartridge, if it doesn't you can buy some.

moen1222.jpg

Moen 1222 for the Posi-Temp

moen_posi-temp.jpg

skylyn

Reaction score
I can't just replace it, the handle is broke! The metal piece broke off inside it. Can i install another brand (a complete kit) with the existing plumbing? Are any easier than moen?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
How did you remove the old one?

moen-1222hd-1.jpg

skylyn

Reaction score
the handle snapped off in the middle. I took the cover plate off and pulled the old cartridge out with a pliers.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Are you talking about the clear plastic handel or the brass stem in the center of the cartridge?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of the old cartridge, and the old handle? Something doesn't look quite right.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I looks like the tabs on the cartridge are not lined with the slots on valve body.
Twist cartridge with pliers and gently push at same time. This might work.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
First there is probably no valve out there that is easier to work on than what you have. Pull the cartridge back out and make sure there is nothing inside the bore of the valve. Grease the cartridge and push it in.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
The home centers will have replacement handle for Moen. Maybe not a metal handle, if that's what you had before, but a clear plastic handle that will fit.

I tried one of the HD replacement cartridges for the Moen Positemp. Never again.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
First there is probably no valve out there that is easier to work on than what you have. Pull the cartridge back out and make sure there is nothing inside the bore of the valve. Grease the cartridge and push it in.

And the #1 Moen problem that graces the world wide web of plumbing forums? Can't get the *#@! cartridge out/stuck/broke off/pieces left in the assembly.

I start to whimper and cry like a baby when a customer calls me with a moen faucet problem. Special tools to remove them. Have to be careful how you reinstall them as well....can cut the rubbers quite easily because the valve openings are machined slotted, not ported.

Don't get me started on 875 series kitchen sink faucets either. Curse the one who's blessed with a leaking backflow preventor. Curses I say!

Last edited:

traveler1101

Reaction score
Moen faucet problems

Is there a metal knob available for this faucet instead of the plastic one that comes on it?

IMG_8192.jpg

I have replaced knob about 3 times. I have the same valve as the one in post #1.
Moen Posi-Temp with 1222 cartridge.

thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

There are several styles of metal lever handles for that valve. You have to get the whole handle assembly because they use an adapter to secure it to the stem.

traveler1101

Reaction score
There are several styles of metal lever handles for that valve. You have to get the whole handle assembly because they use an adapter to secure it to the stem.

Can you tell me where I can find one? I am also from AZ.

Thanks

Last edited:

Lancaster

Reaction score
You buy a complete Posi-temp lever-style shower trim kit,cheapest one is TL182. Change out the handle and put the other parts (shower head,shower arm,escutcheon) in your junk box,or change them too,or throw them in the bushes,whatever.Available at any Moen distributor for what,40 bucks? I don't think the box stores carry the bulk-pack items but you can check.

moen-tl182.jpg

spanz

Reaction score
I need to replace this cartridge too. I called moen cust. service and they are sending a free replacement cartridge out, so try that way first! The new moen part number is 1222. The lady said the 96909 part number was meaningless.

moen1222.jpg

DIY Greg

Reaction score
... I got a new assembly from HD and thought it would be pretty easy to install. However, I can't get the new moen cartridge in all of the way! Am i missing something? The old cartridge was numbered #96909 (or 60696). I can't find a direct replacement, but that wouldn't help because the handle itself broke too.

Also, would it be easier to just go with another brand? Will they work with the plumbing fixture pictured below? In the pic below, the new cartridge is in (but not all of the way).

moen1222.jpg

The replacement part number for the Posi-Temp Shower cartridge is either the 1222B or the 1222 (they are the same cartridge just different numbering - I have no idea why).
(The B means it's a "bulk" cartridge. Plumbers buy them without the retail packaging)
My original cartridge (circa 1999/2000) had 96909 on it as well. Moen provides the replacement for free (lifetime warranty). I got mine at the local Rona hardware store (in Canada) for free. I don't know if other stores provide this free service. Otherwise call Moen and they will ship one out to you for free.

My replacement cartridge would not go all the way in either. It seemed just a hair too long, so I could not get the retaining clip to go in (which is absolutely necessary). I called Moen (for free lifetime tech support). They said that the (original) valve develops sediment inside it over time (in my case 16 years). The old cartridge has adapted to it, so it will fit in, but the new one will not.

The Moen recommended solution is:

1. Stick a rag soaked in a 50/50 vinegar/water solution into the big valve hole where the cartridge fits for 30 minutes.
2. Remove rag and scrub inside of valve hole with a toothbrush.
3. Turn the main water back on and force flush the sediment out of the valve hole. Be sure to wrap the valve exterior behind the wall with towels as this will be a very messy procedure. Water goes everywhere and it will be dirty, possibly with little black pieces of rubber from the old cartridge.
4. Install new 1222B replacement cartridge.

This worked for me. The new cartridge fit, but just barely. It took a lot of fiddling (pushing the bottom tips of the retaining clip in towards the wall with a screwdriver and hammering gently on the top of the retaining clip) to get the retaining clip in, but it did eventually go all the way in.

I guess they make them to fit super-tight, which works fine with a new, clean valve but not so much with an old, dirty valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks