OK Kids... How does this look. My First DWV System

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Here is what I have so far.

Question 1) Are these the correct connections? Shower drain is 2" and picks up the sink drain which reduces down from 1 1/2". Shower vent and sink vent are both 1 1/2". Question 2) Does this need to go to 2" when they combine? Toilet drain and main stack are both 3". Main stack is new and will run all the way down to the basement and tie into the existing stack. Let me know if you need clarification on anything.

I'd also like feedback on the wall framing. I offset the wall the sink is on because otherwise I would have a joist in the way of the sink drain and shower vent. Is this necessary or is there a better solution?

Let me know if you need to see other views.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Main Stack View Version 1.jpg
    Main Stack View Version 1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 8,088
  • Shower Vent and Sink Drain Version 1.jpg
    Shower Vent and Sink Drain Version 1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 6,193
  • Shower Vent and Sink Vent Version 1.jpg
    Shower Vent and Sink Vent Version 1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 3,416
  • Shower and Sink Vent Horizontal Turn Connections Version 1.jpg
    Shower and Sink Vent Horizontal Turn Connections Version 1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 3,393
  • Shower Drain Version 1.jpg
    Shower Drain Version 1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3,269

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Should be less than 6'.

Few more questions:

1) Is the combo necessary for the sink drain, or could I use a sanitary tee?

2) Does it matter if 90 degree drain elbows are short or long sweeps as long as they are drain fittings and not vent fittings?

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Here is the rest of the plan for the basement run.

Are these connections ok? If you're wondering why it runs in every direction, it's because I have to work my way around beams, rooms, etc...

Attachments

• Full System Version 1.jpg
    Full System Version 1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 3,180
  • Basement View 1 Version 1.jpg
    Basement View 1 Version 1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 3,064
  • Basement View 2 Version 1.jpg
    Basement View 2 Version 1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 3,089

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Should be less than 6'.

Few more questions:

1) Is the combo necessary for the sink drain, or could I use a sanitary tee?

2) Does it matter if 90 degree drain elbows are short or long sweeps as long as they are drain fittings and not vent fittings?

This san tee (on the left) should be a combo - no s-tees are ever allowed to be installed on their "back"...
attachment.php

To connect the sink to the horizontal drain line, the combo is the right fitting.... I would go with a 3X3X2 with a 2X 1 1/2 reducer and make the sink waste line 1 1/2 right up to the vent tie in...

Sweeps can be long or short - as long as they are sweeps and not regular 90s

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
that 3 inch ell is wrong

attachment.php

that should be at least 2 -45 degree fittings instead of the elbow
comming off the toilet

teh vent appears to be close enough for this state...

the elbow will have the possibility of clogging up

the tee should be a wye like the above fellow already said but
everything else looks tolerable.

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
ditto.

Since you CAN draw so well, Nelson, (congratulations) draw all your sweeps as long when the direction of the output is horizontal (water flowing flat, not downwards). First one is that toilet. And there, you could even draw a single 45 and let the SanTee be pivoted by 45 degrees to meet it. Since you have to strengthen the joist anyway, it won't complicate your real work at all to drill a hole that lets the pipe go through on a 45 degree angle. Drawing it that way might be a challenge because you have to swivel the SanTee by one eighth and that may be hard to manage in your software.

Under the shower, swivel the P trap so its output faces the wall, and put its output into a long sweep quarter bend (90). Water coming out of a P trap won't be confused by heading sideways. Then from there you have one long straight line with NO bends. This eliminate two bends. Very smooth and efficient. This is to follow the same principle as what people told you in your previous thread about the toilet run. No need to make a pipe zigzag; just shoot it out in one direction first and put only one bend in it to meet the target, and only a 45 if possible.

So, re-writing what I just wrote, shoot that PTrap output over to the wall to meet it at a 45 degree angle and use a 45 bend. (See, anyone can get confused about how to optimize a system. It wasn't immediately obvious. duh.)

Use a combo for the vent. As mentioned.

Under the bathroom, use a long sweep in at least two places, i.e. where water is being directed from a downhill trajectory to a horizontal one. Thw would be the first and the third of the FIVE bends you have drawn before the Wye. If anyone contradicts me about this last point take it seriously. Configuring multi storey DWV is not something I do.

Your drawing skills are the best. Your understanding of what you are being told is high. Your reacting to what you hear is good. You are an ideal DIY for people to interact with. Thank you for making it so enjoyable!

David

Last edited:

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Forgot one thing...

I'm also relocating an existing cast iron vent that services something on the floor below (not sure what). Can I tie it into the new system like this (First Two pictures) The reducer changes the 1 1/2" vent from the sink/shower to 3", which is what the existing vent is.

I've also attached the changes to the shower drain and the shower vent.

markts30:
To connect the sink to the horizontal drain line, the combo is the right fitting.... I would go with a 3X3X2 with a 2X 1 1/2 reducer and make the sink waste line 1 1/2 right up to the vent tie in...

Shower drain is 2". Why would I use a 3x3x2? If I can find a 2x2x 1 1/2 combo I'll go with those for both the sink drain and the shower vent.

I'll plan to use long sweeps for the horizontal turns as well as the change from vertical to horizontal in the basement.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Existing Vent Tie In Version 1.jpg
    Existing Vent Tie In Version 1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3,026
  • Existing Vent Tie In Close-up Version 1.jpg
    Existing Vent Tie In Close-up Version 1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 3,019
  • Shower Drain Version 2.jpg
    Shower Drain Version 2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 2,980
  • Shower Vent and Sink Drain Version 2.jpg
    Shower Vent and Sink Drain Version 2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 2,962

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
markts30:

Shower drain is 2". Why would I use a 3x3x2? If I can find a 2x2x 1 1/2 combo I'll go with those for both the sink drain and the shower vent.

Sorry - thought the pipe was 3" in the drawing...
if it is 2", just ignore me and continue...LOL

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Wet Vent?

I asked my inspector if I could wet vent the shower through the sink drain and he said that it was ok. (Shower trap is within 5' of sink drain and I'm using 2" pipe for the shower drain. Sink drain and vent would be 1 1/2".

1) If I'm not mistaken, I could just remove the shower vent on the left in this picture altogether correct?

2) Can I tilt the combo fitting 45 degrees towards the wall and use a 45 degree street elbow if I need to? I may have a joist to contend with.

Thanks

Attachments

• vent.jpg
    vent.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 2,899

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Dude, that's slick. I knew the software could do it, but I've never explored that function.

Talk about clear communication... the plumbers here are going to LOVE you!

That is to cool.And the plumbing looks good to me.I wish they had all these
gadgets when I was still plumbing.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Now, for the fine print. Makes sure all those horizontal drains are sloped minimum 1/4" per foot. Also make sure the horizontal vent runs are pitched back to the drain.

meecect

Reaction score
where did you get the dwv models?

Nelson, I use sketchup and was wondering where you got those great pipe models from?

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Is make that software in a way that a third grader can easily do it,

Sell it online and to all your local plumbing companies and get rich.

If it was simple, I'd buy it.

It's that simple, third graders DO use it, and it's free:

http://www.sketchup.com/

You can get a ton of pipe fittings, here:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/

I did all of these:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?uq=03988725579968488832

within 3 months of downloading it.

On a lot of framing and finish carpentry forums, it's become the standard way to communicate an idea.

Jason, can you import dxf with the free version, now?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks