My bathroom remodel, WC venting and waste prevension plan

Users who are viewing this thread

Fubar411

Reaction score
Okay, I've been watching this forum for awhile, and many questions have been answered. I haven't seen my particular question. I am doing a bathroom with laundry in my house. I get a little confused with the venting requirements on the toilet and how to connect it into the waste. The sink and laundry drain and venting, I get. I'm doing those based on a lot of post reading. However, because I don't want to cut into my nice 10x2 joists, I was hoping to not have to vent the toilet. It is within 6' of the venting, as this is a small room. But would I have to worry about the solid waste causing a problem as I enter the main stack?

Attached is a pretty crude drawing, the sink and laundry are vented/drained properly. I'm just concerned with how the toilet joins up and is vented. The whole room is 7' x 10'

Thank you so much!
-Rob

Attachments

• plumbing.JPG
    plumbing.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 537

Fubar411

Reaction score
It is a little of both. I don't have the fancy software and I stink at drawing.

For the WC, it will be a 3" long sweep headed downward. The washing and sink will be a 2" long sweep and will be vented.

The part I'm having confusion on is where the toilet, sink, and washing machine drain meet. Both the sink and washing drain are vented, I'm hoping to get away with not venting the toilet.

I'm now thinking it might be best of I have a + shaped 3" fitting with two 2" sanitarys coming into it from the sides.

Fubar411

Reaction score
So I was stuck in traffic for an hour, and this is what I came up with. The part I wonder if I'm okay is in yellow

Attachments

• new plan.JPG
    new plan.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 487
  • u268391[1].jpg
    u268391[1].jpg
    5 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:

Fubar411

Reaction score
Want some? It's free from the good folks at Google, and real easy to learn:

http://www.sketchup.com/

If you've been lurking, then you've seen Nelson's posts - it's what he's been using.

I have seen Nelson's posts. Pretty cool 3d stuff. I don't know if I have enough time to learn the software.

I called a plumber today to ask if I could buy an hour of his time to show him what I wanted to do. Haven't heard back yet...is that an odd request?

Attachments

• bathroom plan.JPG
    bathroom plan.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 670
Last edited:

Fubar411

Reaction score
I changed my image above. I have to get started tomorrow, does it look okay the way I have my waste coming together and not having my toilet vented?

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Fubar411 said:
does it look okay the way I have my waste coming together and not having my toilet vented?

No. I wouldn't claim it or expect it to work. I don't know what the codes are like in Missouri, but here you'd be told to rip it out and start over.

You have to vent the toilet. I'm unclear as to why you don't want to drill a 2" x 10," or why you don't want to vent the toilet.

Fubar411

Reaction score
Good point, just laziness on my part I guess. I had read that toilets didn't need as much venting since it was so close to the main stack.

Can I vent with a 2" pipe if the drain is 3"? Would I just have a 2" coming up off the 3" drain?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Good point, just laziness on my part I guess. I had read that toilets didn't need as much venting since it was so close to the main stack.

Can I vent with a 2" pipe if the drain is 3"? Would I just have a 2" coming up off the 3" drain?

Yes pull a 2" vent for the toilet

Fubar411

Reaction score
So I'm okay with the 3x3x2x2 wye sanitary +?

I think this will work, I'll post real pictures as I go, since this is pretty simple.

Fubar411

Reaction score
okay, here is the dry fit for the interesting part... Do I have the right fitting (going the right way?) for venting the toilet? All I could find was a sanitary fitting.

Attachments

• IMG_5074.JPG
    IMG_5074.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_5075.JPG
    IMG_5075.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 459

Fubar411

Reaction score
I turned the T, so the "gas flows up".

What is wrong with the cross? It is just before it hits the main stack. My main is cast iron and someone already linked the 3" PVC into it, and I'd prefer not to have to bust into it for a second connection.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
. I had read that toilets didn't need as much venting since it was so close to the main stack.

?

That's a good one! Don't know who told you that!

This project is an excellent example of the old proverb..." the devil is in the details". You have laid out a bathroom drain system which seems to make sense. Unfortunately, you failed to consult a plumbing code book. The size of piping is incorrect for a wet vent, the fittings are wrong, etc. A sanititary tee cannot be used on its side. A sanitary cross usually is not accepted in the usage shown. You would probably have to increase all the pipes to 3". Etc.

Fubar411

Reaction score
That's a good one! Don't know who told you that!

This project is an excellent example of the old proverb..." the devil is in the details". You have laid out a bathroom drain system which seems to make sense. Unfortunately, you failed to consult a plumbing code book. The size of piping is incorrect for a wet vent, the fittings are wrong, etc. A sanititary tee cannot be used on its side. A sanitary cross usually is not accepted in the usage shown. You would probably have to increase all the pipes to 3". Etc.

If plumbing code books are written anything like the NEC, nobody would ever be able to change a light bulb.

Would a cross with the Y type arms be acceptable? I did know that the sanitary shouldn't be on its back, but how else could I vent the toilet?

Fubar411

Reaction score
Ok, new plan. How does it look to you guys?

Just noticed I have the toilet vent going the wrong way, but otherwise?

Attachments

• main stack.JPG
    main stack.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 415
  • vanity.JPG
    vanity.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 388
  • toilet_basement.JPG
    toilet_basement.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 387
  • Laundry.JPG
    Laundry.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks