help with new wire basement

Users who are viewing this thread

projectorguru

Reaction score
hi. New here, nice site. I am finishing a basement and am about to do the electrical. I have 2 separate rooms. One room is 21'.6"X14.4", the other is a theatre room and is 21'.6"X 15'. The bar room I have layed out for 10 20A recepts and will be on 1 20 amp breaker. Then I have the theatre room at 10 receps and 1 20amp breaker. I have a 3rd 20 amp circuit for the pellet stove and Fridge(small under bar fridge). I have an existing 15 amp circuit there now I was gonna use for the lights in both rooms. Should I do this or not? Based on Code, I will have 14 recessed lights at 75 watt max. That wattage divided by 120 comes out to 8.75Amps, which is good for the lighting, my issue is, should I run a second 15 amp circuit and split the rooms for the lighting? Or keep it this way? My only concern is if something happens all the lighting will go out.

Thanx,
PG

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
As long as everything is open, and you can run an additional circuit anyway, there's really no reason not to.

projectorguru

Reaction score
hmmmm

The reason its a pain is cuz my panel is in the garage, and I have to go about 50ft per circuit, to get to the JB

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you're planning a home theater, you're going to need additional circuits anyway. Or is it going to be more like an 'entertainment center'?

projectorguru

Reaction score
If you're planning a home theater, you're going to need additional circuits anyway. Or is it going to be more like an 'entertainment center'?

Its in the big room, low lighting, theatre set up, Onkyo receiver 7.1 surround, Blue ray, and the 1080P HD projector mounted in the ceiling projecting a image of 112" diagonal on a HD painted build in framed wall. All the AV stuff is run behind the wall using to go cables as runners to the various equipment. Anyway I was only concerned with the fact if something goes array in the lighting it all goes down

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
What's needed is the ampere draw of all the electronics... projector, sound system, receivers, DVD players and the like. If all that in itself is going to need a separate circuit, it's just as easy to run two as it is one.

When I wire houses, as soon as I hear 'home theater' I instantly assume one, if not two, dedicated 20amp circuits. And those are always indepenant of the lighting.

projectorguru

Reaction score
What's needed is the ampere draw of all the electronics... projector, sound system, receivers, DVD players and the like. If all that in itself is going to need a separate circuit, it's just as easy to run two as it is one.

When I wire houses, as soon as I hear 'home theater' I instantly assume one, if not two, dedicated 20amp circuits. And those are always indepenant of the lighting.

Right, my question was about lighting only, I already have the circuits for the theatre protion, thats not an issue at all, I have 2 dedicated for the theatre side plus a circuit with 10 receptacles separate. Becasue I don't have alot of lighting going in, I was going to use the 15 amp circuit already there from the builder to do the entire theatre lights and the bar lights which load calculations came out to 8.75 amps, which again is no concern on the load, but whether or not its, "SMART" to do that or run an extra circuit to the other room, 15 amp. You kinda answered it above a few posts back that I should separate, the main thing for me is, it is a big pain, and alot of drilling and fishing walls to add that other lighting circuit, so my main question is, will I be ok the way it is and save the pain of drillling and fishing? Or should I take the time and do them separate?

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK, now I get it.

So is the total lighting load the 8¾ amps, or is that what you want to add?

If it's the total, you're fine. But if you want to add it to an existing ciruit, you'll need to find out what else is on that circuit and what it draws. If it's just a few lights a 10 or 12 receptacles, you should be fine.

projectorguru

Reaction score
OK, now I get it.

So is the total lighting load the 8¾ amps, or is that what you want to add?

If it's the total, you're fine. But if you want to add it to an existing ciruit, you'll need to find out what else is on that circuit and what it draws. If it's just a few lights a 10 or 12 receptacles, you should be fine.

No sir. the one 15 amp circuit already there I am using for both bar room and theatre room lighting. A total of 14 fixtures @ 75watt max rating, I get 8.75 amps. That is the only thing that will be on the circuit, but the circuit will be for both rooms in the basement(lighting only). My concern was if there is a failure in one of the `14 lights and the circuit tripped, then the whole basement lighting would go out. But at the same time its real hard to get the extra circuit there. Sorry if I'm not real good at explaning, these forums things are new to me:D

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
And sometimes my comprehension isn't the best.

All the lighting on one circuit, drawing 8¾ amps, is perfectly fine.

If you're worried about one problem taking all the lighting out, ask yourself this: How often does it happen? If there's no receptacles on with the lights, I wouldn't be too worried then.

If you're still concerned about it, pick a central location for a specific receptacle that is supplied by the lighting circuit. Go to any home improvement center or hardware store and buy one of the flashlights that plug in and will automatically turn on if power is lost.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
My only concern is if something happens all the lighting will go out.

Thanx,
PG

What do you do when there is a power failure?

Have you got some method figured out so you won't be in the dark?

Come to think of it what would the difference be in the power going out and all the lights on one circuit going out?

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
What do you do when there is a power failure?

Have you got some method figured out so you won't be in the dark?

Hence, my emergency flashlight idea.

Come to think of it what would the difference be in the power going out and all the lights on one circuit going out?

Maybe there would be enough light from the TV if it's just the lights that go out.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The idea that one should split circuits because of a possibility of tripping a breaker is not supported by statistics around my place. I don't think I've had a breaker trip on anything but a kitchen circuit in 40+ years. That occurred when someone plugged an electric teakettle and a 4-slice toaster into the same circuit.

My power goes out about 4 times a year.

projectorguru

Reaction score
Hence, my emergency flashlight idea.

Maybe there would be enough light from the TV if it's just the lights that go out.

The TV is a projector that projects an image of 10ft diagonal, so yeah,m plenty of light from that baby,LOL.

Thanx all:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks