Furring out rafters

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
I'm planning to fur out 2x4 rafters with 2x2s to make room for more insulation. Can I nail them or do I need to use screws? I'll be covering them with drywall. Do I need to use longer drywall screws?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd slap some construction adhesive on and screw them together. Nailing a 2x4 could be bouncy, screwing would be more direct. You'd be less likely to split things if you drilled through the 2x2 first.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Since it's furring I'd use a finish nailer. You're going to run screws through it while doing the drywall so I wouldn't bother doing to much work to keep the furring in place. You need to have a screw into the joist 1/2". Do the math to figure out what length screw you'll need for your drywall. I'd bet a 1 5/8" would do you fine.

Tom

Jadnashua

Reaction score
1/2 drywall + 1.5" 2x2 (maybe more), need at least a 2.5" screw. If the 2x2 isn't tight, the screw for the drywall may not catch right away and then it will jack the two apart. WIth a bead of construction adhesive there, it won't move. If you've got a nailer, then I'd forgo the screws, but still slap some glue up there.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
Since it's furring I'd use a finish nailer. You're going to run screws through it while doing the drywall so I wouldn't bother doing to much work to keep the furring in place.

Tom

I don't know anyone that uses 2.5" drywall screws, most are 1.25" so the furring strips must be securely attached to the rafter because the drywall screws aren't going to penetrate the actual rafter, just the furring strip unless of course you want to drop twice as much money on the extra long screws to do all the drywall with.

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
I always over-engineer things planning for the worst.

I would glue and screw the furring strips and nail some gussets on them in various locations.

A little extra work can make a huge difference.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Yup missed the furring strip size. When I think furring I'm thinking thin. Yeah you'll need longer screws.

Any reason you don't just sister up the joists?

Tom

Nelsonba

Reaction score
I might

I guess I was thinking it would be cheaper to put 2x2s on than to sister with 2x6s. But perhaps the additional cost of screws, construction adhesive, my time, etc... isn't worth it. If I sister, I assume I can just nail it together, right?

However, If I sister them, I'm going to have nails from the roofing material getting in the way. Best to just pound them over? Or should I try to cut them off?

Last edited:

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you sister you're going to want to choose a smaller board like a 2x4. Given that you are attempting to add additional insulation I'd just go ahead with your furring out idea. It will be easier to acheive a better insulation result.

Sorry for sending you in another direction that perhaps isn't the best.

I'd glue and finish nail in your 2x2 furring. Then get some long screws to run your drywall with.

Tom

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If the existing rafters aren't all nice and straight, you could straighten up the ceiling with some sisters. It would be possible with furring strips, but harder as each one may be different. Even if you used a 2x6, you want it to extend below the existing lumber, so it wouldn't have to go all the way to the roof decking. A 2x6 is in the order of 5.25-5.5" wide. The roofing nails probably don't stick too far through.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks