Grounding outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

scta2007

Reaction score
I want to get my bathroom lights and outlets on separate circuits because the outlet is not GFCI nor 20 amp and the lights always dim when my wife uses the outlet. Everything is fed via flex metal conduit and very intertwined with other rooms, and the main panel is full. BUT there is a sub panel directly below the bathroom and the sub has a grounding conductor leading all the way back to the main.

Can I run a NM 12-2 from the sub to the outlet, and separate it from the other wires, but keep it in the same metal junction box? Or does this pose a problem having it grounded the main via the metal conduit while at the same time grounding it to the sub panel via the NM wiring?

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can I run a NM 12-2 from the sub to the outlet, and separate it from the other wires, but keep it in the same metal junction box?

Yes. Personally, though, I'd leave the lights on the old circuit if it were up to me.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Stay out of the existing box if you can.

Run the new circuit to a new outlet in a new location if possible. Trying to stuff a GFCI into an existing box can be tricky. Use a new plastic box screwed to a stud.

If you DO go to the existing box, keep the lighting circuit as is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks