Perm. removed light. what do i do with wires?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I removed a light fixture and want to plaster the wall hole. I put caps on the wire ends. can I just push them through and close up the holes or is there something more i need to do?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
YES. If you absolutely need to cover this box you MUST find where the wires originate and cut them off so they can't be used again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Said another way, if the wires are still hot, you can't cover it over!

Reaction score
there is no box. just two wires coming out of the wall and no other place to access them. can the live wires be disconnected at the switch?

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, they have to come out somewhere. The switch would be the best place to look.

If the fixture was a pull-chain style, the wires could end up anywhere.

Reaction score
sorry but i am almost completely stupid when it comes to electrical...

isn't it a default fallback plan to just disconnect the wires at the switch to solve the problem of the hot wire in the wall?

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I don't know of any code section to support it, but I would want the wires CUT off short in the box so they can't be used any more.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
I don't know of any code section to support it, but I would want the wires CUT off short in the box so they can't be used any more.

I would be happy just to short them out and tag them in the box they originate from, Don't see the need to cut them, you may need them in the future...

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
i removed a light fixture and want to plaster the wall hole. i put caps on the wire ends. can i just push them through and close up the holes or is there something more i need to do?

thanks

Do more than just "cap" them.

I abandon wires all the time and I rarely cut them short in a box. If it is newer "Romex" style cable you can slide the sheating back a few inches, stagger cut (3/8")the individual wires with the hot being longest, the slide the sheathing back and fold the end over. If it's older "cloth" sheathing, stagger cut the wires and tightly wrap tape SEVERAL layers around until you have completely isulated the wires.

As long as you insulate the wires as good as the rest of the run it will be as safe as the rest of the run.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks for all of the responses ...including the off cuff ones (or should i say off-cut ones ;)

since there is no box and the wires will never be used again i will try aletrician's suggestion: staggering and insulating. thank you.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Do more than just "cap" them.

I abandon wires all the time and I rarely cut them short in a box. If it is newer "Romex" style cable you can slide the sheating back a few inches, stagger cut (3/8")the individual wires with the hot being longest, the slide the sheathing back and fold the end over. If it's older "cloth" sheathing, stagger cut the wires and tightly wrap tape SEVERAL layers around until you have completely isulated the wires.

As long as you insulate the wires as good as the rest of the run it will be as safe as the rest of the rum.

Are you saying you leave hot wires, not terminated in a box or anything, hanging inside walls?

Reaction score
okay so are you saying i shouldn't stagger cut the wires and tightly wrap tape SEVERAL layers around until i have completely isulated the wires??

once again please remember there is either no box or because it's behind the wall i just cannot see it. the two small wires that were attached to light fixture just come through a quarter-size hole in the wall. this fixture, btw, was on a wall about 12 feet up in a room with a vaulted ceiling.

i am going to check to see if there is a box behind the hole.

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
i am going to check to see if there is a box behind the hole.

300.15 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, or Fittings — Where Required.
A box shall be installed at each outlet and switch point for concealed knob-and-tube wiring.
Fittings and connectors shall be used only with the specific wiring methods for which they are designed and listed.
Where the wiring method is conduit, tubing, Type AC cable, Type MC cable, Type MI cable, nonmetallic-sheathed cable, or other cables, a box or conduit body shall be installed at each conductor splice point, outlet point, switch point, junction point, termination point, or pull point, unless otherwise permitted in 300.15(A) through (M).

There is nothing found in (A) through (M) that would allow the installation of tape on the end of the conductor.

It is a good idea to,

314.29 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, and Handhole Enclosures to Be Accessible.
Boxes, conduit bodies, and handhole enclosures shall be installed so that the wiring contained in them can be rendered accessible without removing any part of the building or, in underground circuits, without excavating sidewalks, paving, earth, or other substance that is to be used to establish the finished grade.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Speaking as a remodeller... when I see a cut end, I assume "dead wire".

Because THAT'S CODE.

And also because, THAT'S WHAT'S NORMAL. Even the hacks don't leave a live wire hanging loose in the wall.

...You could kill somebody with that staggered cut trick.

TonyKarns

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
tonysprofessionalremodeling.com
Keep it simple!!!!!!!

If there is no box to terminate the wires you must find the source and disconnect the wires and wire cap them on the hot end. You cannot leave connected live wires loose behind a wall! END OF CONVERSATION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks