Recommendations: short depth and 10" rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

ling13323

Reaction score
I have a 10" rough-in and need a toilet depth of 28" or less from wall to edge of seat. All the Totos that get the great reviews just won't fit. :(

After researching this board, it seems I have these options:
  • Toto Reliance
  • Gerber Avalanche
  • American Standard Cadet 3 (is there an ADA version of this that still fits the space constraints?)

How do these perform? How easy to get are replacement parts? Anything else I should know (noise, bowl wash)?

My plumber is using the Reliance as the default, which is probably fine, but I've read here that it splashes quite a bit. Please help...!

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The Cadet 3 10" round seems to fill the bill.

cadet-10-round-spec.jpg

But to get the Right Height ADA you need elongated, which protrudes 28½":

It gets generally very good reviews on flushing performance. The TotoUSA website has similar spec sheets available for their models.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

The distance from the wall to the front of the bowl will be determined by the distance from the center of the outlet to the front of the bowl, not the distance from the back of the tank to the front of the bowl.

ling13323

Reaction score
The distance from the wall to the front of the bowl will be determined by the distance from the center of the outlet to the front of the bowl, not the distance from the back of the tank to the front of the bowl.

But the distance from the wall to the front of the bowl can't be less than the distance from the back of the tank to the front of the bowl, right?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some brands just change the dimmensions of the tank to make it fit on different rough-ins. Unless you've got some magic that overcomes the laws of physics the front of the toilet can't be less than the distance of the tank to front. Now, some people resort to recessing the thing into the wall, but that usually looks tacky.

ling13323

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought I had the depth measurements figured out. Just trying to pick a toilet now.

ling13323

Reaction score
Well, for anyone else in my situation, I finally picked the Gerber Avalanche and had my plumber order directly and install it for me. It's been about 9 months now, and it's been great.

It only takes up a little more space than my old tankless toilet, maybe 1.5". It looks good (fits the subway tile look of my bathroom). I haven't had to use a plunger once. The non-ADA height and round seat are fine for me.

I was a little surprised that the level of the water in the bowl seemed low, but that hasn't affected the flush or the cleaning of the bowl in any way. And having come from a tankless model, it took me some time to get used to the sound of the tank refilling. At first it seemed to takes ages, but I'm sure that was just perception, because now I don't notice it at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks